DUI Zone Forums DWI/DUI 3rd 3rd and is it really 3 strikes and you’re out?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

picked up my 3rd dwi 2 nights ago. it was stupid of me and I knew better but the booze took over. I’ve always heard 3 strikes and you’re out, aka going away for a long time. this what I’m looking at?

• DUI Zone
        Keymaster

Hi Raul, yes most states come down hard on the 3rd. In Texas it is a 3rd degree felony charge which carries a minimum of 2 years and max of 10 years if you lose in trial, but plea deals carry a mandatory 10 days in jail. Probation can be 8-10 years. It’s a very serious charge.

My attorney was able to knock my 3rd down to a lesser charge of misdemeanor A and I received 15 days of weekend jail time and 2 years probation. I have another friend who received her 3rd and was convicted of a felony. She was able to do DWI Court where she attends once a week for 1 year with the judge and DA, along with others in the same situation. Doing the DWI Court lessened her probation to 5 years.

I’m not sure what state you are in, but getting an expert attorney who works with felony charges is very important. It’s always important, but felonies are a whole new world. If convicted, you lose the ability to vote or carry a firearm. You can’t be caught hanging out with another felon … the rules are quite extensive.

But it is not the end of the world. Get a great attorney to fight for you. Just remember that if you don’t see a way to go to trial and win, take the plea. In my situation, had I gone to trial and lost, I would have served a minimum of 2 years in jail. The jury can only give a minimum of 2 years whereas the DA and judge can give you just the mandatory jail sentence.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like alcohol has taken over you like it did me. Sobriety is your best move. I’ve been sober for over 4 years and life is better than it was. The most important part of sobriety in our situation is there’s no chance of screwing up and getting another one. And I’m not preaching, I’m just telling you my situation.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.